What We Believe
1. We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments (KJV)
as verbally inspired of God, and inerrant, and that they are of supreme and final authority in faith and life. (II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:20,21)
2. We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (I John 5:7)
3. We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit, and born of Mary, a virgin, and is true God and true man. (Luke 1:30-35; John 1:14)
4. We believe that man was created in the image of God, that he sinned and thereby incurred not only physical death, but also that spiritual death which is separation from God; and that all human beings are born with a sinful nature, and, in the case of those who reach the age of moral responsibility, are sinners in thought, word, and deed. (Genesis 1:27; 3:1-7; Romans 5:12; 5:15-21)
5. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures as Representative and Substitutionary Sacrifice, and that all who believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood. (Acts 13:38,39; Romans 5:1-9; I Corinthians 15:1-4)
6. We believe in the “eternal security " of the believer; that it is impossible for one born into the family of God ever to be lost. (John 10:27-29; John 5:24)
7. We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of the Lord, in His ascension into Heaven, and His present life there as High Priest and Advocate. (I Timothy 2:5,6; I John 2:1; Mark 16:6; Luke 24:36-48; Acts 1:10,11; Hebrews 10:19-22)
8. We believe in “that blessed Hope " –the personal, pre-millennial, pretribulational, and imminent return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, when the Church will be “gathered together unto Him". (Titus 2:13; Revelation 22:12; Revelation 20:6; I Thessalonians 4:13-18; I Corinthians 15:51-53)
9. We believe in the literal fulfillment of the prophecies and promises of the Scriptures, which foretell and assure the future regeneration and restoration of Israel as a nation. (II Samuel 7:8-17; Luke 1:31-33)
10. We believe that all who receive the Lord Jesus Christ by faith are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God; that no works, however good, make that salvation more secure. (Acts 16:31; Galatians 3:26; I Peter 1:23; John 3:5,6; Ephesians 2:8,9)
11. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting punishment of the lost. (Acts 24:15; John 5:24,28,29; Matthew 25:41,46)
12. We believe that the scriptural ordinances of the church are baptism (immersion), and the Lord’s Supper; that baptism should be administered to the believers only as a symbol of their belief in the death, burial, and the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and as a testimony to the world of that belief and of their death, burial, and resurrection with Him; and that the Lord’s Supper should be partaken by Christians after examining themselves (we hold open communion), only to show forth His death, till He comes. (I Corinthians 11:23-32; Acts 8:36-39; Colossians 2:12
Sunshine Baptist Church, located at 632 Perkins Hill, Harlan, Kentucky, is a community of faith that exists to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ.
We are continuously engaged in creating meaningful worship and music, fostering relationships within our community, and most importantly reaching out to our youth and adults who are trying to find direction in their lives.
We are a church that takes membership seriously meaning we believe in the trans-formative power of a Christian community that strives to reflect the love of Jesus Christ.
We believe in Gospel transformation: that relationship with God through Jesus Christ, sacred worship, and investment in an authentic Christian community that not only changes us, but also changes the world.
Sunday School: 10 am
Sunday Morning Worship: 11 am
Sunday Evening Worship: 6 pm
Christ's Hands Ministry: Monday's at 4:30 pm
Wednesday Evening Bible Study: 6 pm
Light House Kids Klub: Wednesday Evenings for ages 3 and up
Junior Church: Sunday Mornings for 4yrs. - 6th grade
Teens: Sunday School and Wednesday Evenings
John 1:14 - And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
My name is Travis Moore, I am a 1999 graduate of Evarts High School. I have been a 6th-8th grade history teacher in Harlan County for the last several years, starting at Black Mountain Elementary School, and currently at James A. Cawood Elementary School.
I was saved at the age of 7 in 1987, felt God’s call to preach at age 8. I surrendered my life to God at the age of 15 and accepted God’s call to preach at age 21. I have been a youth director at Immanuel Baptist Church, Youth Pastor at Victory Baptist Church, and I spent 4 years as the Youth Pastor at Sunshine. It was a great honor to be called to Pastor here in 2015.
I married my beautiful wife Erica who is from Somerset, KY in 2004. We have 2 children, Elijah and Natalie.
We are excited to have an opportunity to serve Harlan County through Sunshine Baptist Church.